Amy Cameron Duncan ‘19
1. Where can you find the best margarita in NYC?
Well, I wouldn’t say that it’s the best margarita in New York, but my favorite place to drink a margarita in New York is Lucky Dog in Brooklyn. Because, really, what’s better than drinking a ridiculously gigantic margarita in a backyard surrounded by thirty dogs?
2. What is your favorite word?
Petrichor. It means the smell that comes after a rain.
3. Where did you grow up?
All around the DC area, but I went to high school in Alexandria, VA.
4. If you could meet one celebrity, who would it be and why?
Dame Helen Mirren because she kicks a lot of ass and generally seems like she would be an incredibly good time.
5. What event are you most excited for on the UVa calendar?
The PILA Shaping Justice Conference! That’s mostly a shameless plug because I’m co-directing it with Ryan Snow, but I think it’s really going to be incredible this year.
6. If you had to pick one song to play non-stop in the background of your life, what would it be?
Picking one song to play in the background forever sounds absolutely horrendous, but I have been listening to “Ran” by Future Islands pretty much constantly for the past few weeks…
7. If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be?
I have always wished that I had the power to fluently speak the native language of anyone I met, including the ability to understand jokes and idioms. I’m not exactly sure what kind of superhero that would make me, but it’s a power that I’ve always wished I had.
8. What’s something you wish you’d known about law school before coming to UVA Law?
2L is harder than 1L for a lot of people. Apparently they don’t like to tell 1Ls that for fear that they’ll drop out, but I think I’d have preferred to know know. And on that note, don’t be afraid to get involved, but also don’t take on leadership to know. And on that note, don’t be afraid to get involved, but also don’t take on leadership positions unless you are actually excited about doing the work associated with them.
9. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
Berlin, though I don’t have a good explanation as to why.
10. What’s your least favorite sound?
11. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
My grandmother sent me a $100 chipotle gift card out of the blue right before finals last year and it was AMAZING.
12. Backstreet Boys or *NSYNC?
Boyz II Men. Seriously, they were just better. I saw them in Philly this summer and they’re still incredible.
13. What is the best concert you have ever been to?
I got super lucky a few years back and randomly ended up at this party that Talib Kweli was performing at. Seeing one of my favorite artists in such a small setting was pretty unbeatable.
14. If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
No posting “facts” that have no basis whatsoever in actual fact on social media.