1. Have you ever had a nickname? What?
My parents call me June because I’m a junior. My college friends called me Hyde because of my nighttime persona. My former students called me C-Dub after I wrote a math problem featuring a DJ named C-Dub. I think that’s all I want in print.
2. How old are you in dog years?
I’m an old soul. Probably should’ve been born in 1942. So I’m a spry 525 in dog years.
3. Where did you grow up?
Columbia, SC, in a loving home that promoted middle class values.
4. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
I was doing a project in Nicaragua and spent some time on Ometepe Island. I rented a horse one day, went fishing in Lake Nicaragua and while riding around, complete strangers offered to cook my fish and make me a meal. Still waiting on an experience to top that.
5. If you could meet one celebrity, who would it be?
Forest Whitaker. I want him to teach me his Idi Amin accent.
6. What’s your favorite book?
In high school I once admitted to a television audience that my favorite book(s) were the Harry Potter series. I got so much flak for that. One of my favorites is The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy.
7. Cats or Dogs?
Dogs, but cats are making a come back in my book.
8. If you were a superhero what would your superpower be?
Oh, I’d want to manipulate matter for sure. I think my first super act would be creating money out of thin air because the working for money thing is getting old.
9. Are you a good dancer?
Yes. That’s my answer and I’m sticking to it.
10. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
Quaker apple cinnamon oatmeal with dried cranberries and coffee.
11. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
Advice from my great-grandmother.
12. What’s your most interesting two-truths-and-a-lie? (And what’s the lie?)
1) I used to be a Boy Scout. 2) I dislocated my jaw once. 3) I know how to hunt for bats. The first is a lie. I never completed my Cub Scout requirements.
13. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
Right at the foot of the Andes in Ecuador. Bye-bye seasons.
14. Do you sing in the shower?
Rarely. If I am singing, I’m singing anything Earth Wind and Fire.
15. Do you believe the library should install a water feature?
No! I couldn’t abide another distraction in the library.
16. If you could know one thing about your future, what would it be?
I want to know everything. I don’t like surprises.
17. Backstreet Boys or *NSYNC?
C’monnnn. Consider this simple logic game: NSYNC–>Justin Timberlake. JT–> Justified. Justified–>FutureSex/LoveSounds.
18. What’s the longest you’ve gone without sleep?
Probably 30 hours. And it was probably in college.
19. What’s your favorite thing to do in Charlottesville?
I really appreciate anytime I get to discover a new Charlottesville restaurant that isn’t on the Mall.
20. If you could make one law that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
Truth is becoming optional. My law would require that everybody be truthful, live in truth, and cling to the truth no matter what external influences are at play.