1. Have you ever had a nickname? What? Yes. My favorite elementary school teacher called me “Buttles.” He was arrested for armed robbery and disappeared mid-year; regrettably, “Buttles” didn’t and stayed with me through high school. Also Prof. Choi calls me “Paul” sometimes; not sure if that counts but if he passes me in M&A this semester, he can call me whatever he wants.
2. What is your favorite word? Gnarly. Stoked is a close second.
3. Where did you grow up? Edinburgh, Scotland and La Canada, California (same as Christine Sun and Kevin Kraft). The cool place to hang out in high school was the E-Mile attached to the Chevron Station.
4. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had? Post workout pancakes with whipped cream, syrup, and fruit.
5. If you could meet one celebrity, who would it be and why? Hamish and Andy –my favorite radio/TV comedians. I love to laugh.
6. If you owned a sports team, what/whom would be the mascot? Roll War Beavers
7. If you had to pick one song to play non-stop in the background of your life, what would it be? Vance Joy - “From Afar.” Fortunately, my roommate (Zach Osinski) would be ok with it. We listen to the exact same Pandora stations.
8. If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? Bring back Chet Roundstone. RIP buddy.
9. What’s something you wish you’d known about law school before coming to UVa? The difference between ‘statutes’ and ‘statues’. Fortunately I caught on quickly and I think everyone just figured I had a slight lisp during first week.
10. What did you have for breakfast this morning? Nothing. I was late to Securities Regulation.
11. What’s your most interesting two-truths-and-a-lie? (And what’s the lie?)
I lost at arm wrestling to a girl in middle school. (True)
I’ve streaked the Lawn. (Lie)
I’ve been invited to appear on MTV’s show ‘Naked Dating’ (True)
12. If you could live anywhere, where would it be? Australia. That one’s pretty easy. Charlottesville’s not too shabby though.
13. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received? My sister commuting back from college to help train me for my last ever 1600m track race. She’s not an excuses person. Also, an employee at the North Grounds Gym front desk gave me the majority of her Domino’s Pizza one time. That was pretty cool too.
14. If the law school had yearbook awards, what would you want to win? Best dressed. I have a pretty popular floral blouse/shirt (unfortunately it’s a cold-call magnet) and a yellow kitten-burger tank top. Also I think people are finally starting to respect my cold weather winter coat and short-shorts combo.
15. If you could know one thing about your future, what would it be? How long do I stay in my first firm job? Also, do I have an office plant, and if so, is it a succulent?
16. Backstreet Boys or *NSYNC? Backstreet Boys. #IWantItThatWay
17. What’s the longest you’ve gone without sleep? Maybe two-and-a-half days?
18. What’s your favorite thing to do in Charlottesville? Eating and football tailgates along Alderman road.
19. If you could make one law that everyone had to follow, what would it be? Stilts Saturday on which stilts must be worn at all times.
20. What’s your earliest childhood memory? I was in special education in elementary school due to my underwhelming academic performance. During 2nd grade they seated my class in ranked spelling groups: team A, B, C and D. Team D consisted solely of me and a fellow special education student Craig O’Donnell. Just before I moved to America I got promoted to the C team and Craig had to sit by himself.