1. What are you most excited for during your second summer in Raleigh, North Carolina?
North Carolina is God’s country —surrounded by the best barbecue, kind people, and a day trip to the Outer Banks or the mountains.
2. Where did you grow up?
Asheville, N.C. It’s a small speck of new-age art and craft beer sitting in a sea of Appalachian country folk. One of the best places to go to find jacked-up pickup trucks sporting “Eat Local” bumper stickers.
3. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
Denver seems nice. But I’d be fine with anywhere that has a Moe’s Southwest Grill (the real reason I’m not staying in Charlottesville post-law school).
4. What’s your least favorite sound?
I’d agree with Jenny Lamberth that the sound of chewing food is up there. Also any portion of the Bluebook being read aloud.
5. If you could meet one celebrity, who would it be and why?
Lil Wayne. Explanation neither needed nor provided.
6. Where is your favorite place to vacation?
St. Simon’s Island, Georgia. Just enough tourists that there’s a lot to do, but a far cry from the commerciality of somewhere like Myrtle Beach. They also have very nice trees.
7. What’s something you wish you’d known about law school before coming to UVa Law?
The name of literally any major law firm. I spent many conversations pretending to know what was happening when people were throwing around strange words like “Cravath,” “Skadden,” and “MoFo.”
8. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
Bojangles. One of North Carolina’s gifts to the world, along with Cookout and Nina Simone.
9. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
Maybe when I got my PlayStation 1. At the time I had no idea what a “PlayStation” was, so you can imagine my 7-year-old self’s pleasure when I discovered it was not in fact some sort of children’s playpen.
10. Backstreet Boys or *NSYNC?
I used to think Backstreet Boys was a gang, so I guess *NSYNC.
11. What is the best concert you have ever been to?
I enjoyed John Mayer when he was playing his more blues-y stuff.
12. What’s your spirit animal?
A fox, provided it’s an unusually un-enthusiastic fox.
13. What’s your favorite food?
14. If you won the lottery, what would you do with it?
BUY CHICK-FIL-A NUGGET. And then see if I could bribe Hugh Jackman to come to Barrister’s with me next year. (Alternative answer: àchurchàloansàcarànuggets).
15. If you had Matrix-like learning, what would you learn?
Piano, and then how to precisely mimic Prof. Jeffries’s voice.
16. What are the 7 wonders of the law school?
The wild success of Career Services; Dean Emerson Spies’s furry robe thing in his portrait; the ghostly doors to the outside that make noises at you when you walk by them at night (seriously, it’s a thing).